You have just opened a door to a journey of yummy food and healthier living. All in one! Your welcome. Stay around and explore this site full of delicious, tasty, healthy recipes! Enjoy your trip!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Route 66 Cupcakes ( Lemon with Blueberry topping )


As we speak, or more like as you read, I am coming back from Christmas vacation. Woo! Road trip! Wanna play a game? Its called guess what Kyndal sees. Ok go!....c’mon. You can do it. I will give you a hint. I am currently in Wyoming. Yes! You got it! I see sagebrush, dirt, hills, sagebrush, tumbleweeds, snow, and sagebrush. Ya okay so there is not a lot out here but it really is kinda pretty in its own unique little way. The break was really nice but like always, its gone before you can even remember what you did, or rather if you did anything at all. So in two days, its back to school. Sounds enticing huh? Well I plan on making cupcakes when I get home because my close friend, Jade, had her birthday on Christmas Eve and we (her friends and I) are celebrating when I get home! So what more justifiable thing to do than to make cupcakes. So when I get home and come up with this recipe, I will take a picture and post the recipe along with this post. I already have a name so that’s one less thing I have to worry about. After I am done with my road trip, I will make Route 66 cupcakes. (Even though I am not really on Route 66, but hey! It’s a cute name right?) Oh, and Happy New Year! I hope your year is filled with improvement and joy.


Ok so here is the deal. The cake batter I made was super super good. But the icing, or more like stuff on top, wasn't AS good. Together they tasted amazing so I will give you the "blueberry topping" recipe anyways, but don't judge if you personally don't like it. And it takes a long time to make, so I won't be offended if you decided to just make the cake. But PLEASE! Try the lemon cake.

*makes 12 cupcakes or 1 cake in a 8" round pan*
(I got the cake recipe idea from graciouspantry.com)
Lemon Cake Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup whole wheat pastry flour + 2 tablespoons
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tablespoon grape seed oil or safflower oil
  • 3/4 Cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1/2 Cup agave
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • zest of two lemons
  • juice of 1/2 a lemon

Blueberry Topping Ingredients:
  • 1 small(about 5 oz.) package of blueberries
  • 1/4 Cup sugar choice (natural sugar cane, palm coconut sugar, turbinado sugar, etc.)
  • 1/2 Cup cold water + 1 tablespoon corn starch (divided)
  • 8 ounces of plain Greek yogurt
  • 4 tablespoons agave
  • 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract


Lemon Cake instructions
Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Then mix in the rest of the ingredients. If it seems super runny, stir in an additional 1-2 tablespoons of flour. Spoon in the batter into cupcake cups, filling it 3/4 the way full. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes.


Blueberry Topping Instructions
Okay here we go. Place the blueberries in a blender and pulse until the blueberries are slightly liquefied (don't let it get to a soupy consistency. Make sure there are still blueberry chunks). Mix together the blueberries and the sugar in a small bowl. Transfer the blueberries and sugar into a small saucepan, heated on medium-high. Once the blueberries start to bubble, reduce the heat to low-medium. Let it simmer for twenty minutes, stirring frequently. In the last five minutes of the simmering, stir 1/2 tablespoon of corn starch into 1/4 cups of cold water. Once it is dissolved, stir the corn starch mixture into the simmering blueberry mixture. Stir frequently until the mixture has thickened. While the sauce is thickening, stir together the yogurt, agave, and vanilla. After the blueberries have thickened, stir in the yogurt mixture into the saucepan with the blueberries. Let this mixture simmer for another fifteen minutes. In the last five minutes, repeat the corn starch steps with another 1/4 cup water and 1/2 tablespoon corn starch. Stir into the blueberry mixture and let thicken once again. Once it has thickened, transfer the mixture into a bowl and chill in the fridge for thirty minutes or more. Then, once you cupcakes are done baking, top with desired amount of blueberry topping.

I hope hope hope that all made sense. I promise I will be better about preparing recipes and only posting ones that I know for sure you may like. But I will say that the blueberry taste and lemon taste compliment each other pretty well. Enjoy your New Years and enjoy your cupcakes.

1 comment: