You have just opened a door to a journey of yummy food and healthier living. All in one! Your welcome. Stay around and explore this site full of delicious, tasty, healthy recipes! Enjoy your trip!

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Thefty Lentil Wrap


Today was great! My mom, my amazing cousin (who just moved in with us), and I had a girls day out on the town. We started off the day painting pottery at a ceramics place. It was really fun and creative. Then we went to Jason's deli to eat. Delicious salad bar and soup may I say! Mmm Mmm good. After lunch, we went to see Les Miserables in theatre. It was very moving and I seriously wish I was Cosette right about now because Marius is so handsome, charming, good-looking, and his voice is like liquid gold floating in the air. Ahhh!!! I am in love. At least for the night. Maybe when I wake up I will be over him. But probably not, because the truth is: that face is un-get-over-able. Oh but I missed writing about the best part of the whole day! That beautiful moment when I locked the keys in my car. It's gotta happen to everyone right? Well folks, today was my day. I was stressed out and I'm sure I was quite the little irritable cup of bitterness for a little while (which I now feel bad about), but then this little voice popped into my head and just said, "It will all be okay soon, but for now, just laugh about it." So I tried listening. I just laughed about it and told the girls that breaking into my car was the last adventure of the day. We just had to mark it off the list. So we went home, grabbed the necessary supplies for breaking into a car (I am not going to tell you what those necessities are because I am in no wise promoting auto-theft), and headed back to my car. For a good thirty minutes we tried everything. Nothing worked. We laughed, but seriously, I was getting impatient. Till finally, in the snap of a finger, we got in. Just like that. Today I have learned so many lessons, truly. A very wise man once told me, "Sometimes God doesn't answer your prayer right away. He lets you struggle for as long as possible and necessary. But He never waits longer than He needs to. He is NEVER a moment too late." And that's really what popped into my mind as I grew impatient after many prayers were offered to get us out of the situation. As silly as the situation, it is a valuable lesson for when you really are waiting a long time on a prayer. I am now home, with good ole Davey back in the garage and I couldn't feel more at peace. So, after this long little entry, I give to you a recipe that I really like, named after our adventure today, (where I felt like a gran auto-theft criminal) Thefty Lentil Wrap.


Ingredients

  • whole wheat tortilla (warmed)
  • 1 cup of sprouted lentils (for sprouting instructions, scroll to the bottom of the entry)
  • 1/4 cup of orange, red, or yellow bell peppers, finely chopped
  • 1-2 tablespoons of onion, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons of cilantro chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of lime juice
  • a couple slice of avocado
  • 1-2 tablespoons of hummus
  • 2-3 teaspoons of chopped jalapeno (optional. in other words, if you're bold)
  • sea salt and pepper to taste


Instructions

  1. In a large zip-lock baggy, combine sprouted lentils, bell peppers, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and optional jalapeno. Shake the bag. Taste and add lime juice as preferred. Same with sea salt and pepper
  2. Warm the tortilla on a skillet or using the microwave.
  3. Spread the hummus onto the middle of the tortilla. Spread it pretty thin because it layers up when you fold the tortilla.
  4. On top of the hummus, spread desired amount of lentil mixture.
  5. Top with avocado
  6. Fold the wrap
  7. If you have left over lentil mixture, throw it in a freezer baggy and toss it in the freezer for later.
  8. Note to self: Make sure your car keys are in your hand before you shut your door. :D


How to Sprout Lentils
  • Place desired amount of dry lentils in a large bowl of water.
  • Let soak overnight
  • Drain the lentils in a strainer and rinse the lentils thoroughly.
  • Place a towel under the strainer and shake the strainer to get rid of excess water.
  • Keep the towel under the strainer, and keep the lentils in room temperature for 24-36 hours.
  • Shake the lentils in the strainer whenever you can as you help them dry quicker.
  • You should see a pretty good little tail sprouting out of the lentil beans after 36 hours.
  • You can always freeze whatever you don't use. They become great as salad toppers, side veggies, or a base grain for a dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment