You have just opened a door to a journey of yummy food and healthier living. All in one! Your welcome. Stay around and explore this site full of delicious, tasty, healthy recipes! Enjoy your trip!

Monday, March 4, 2013

Born to Be Mexican "Tostones"

So I think I was born to be Mexican or South American or Latin or something. I guess somehow it just didn't work out. First of all I was born with dark skin and black hair, not even a joke. You see, we're talking about really dark skin and a head full of jet black hair. Yeah, okay that in and of itself just proves my point. But then! Oh yes...there is more. I have taken four years of Spanish and I think it comes fairly easy. And I simply love the language. I feel a special connection with it. Whenever I see Spanish translations in public, or whenever I hear Spanish recordings or what not, it just feels so special. That and I go around speaking little Spanish phrases in my house (which I would not suggest if you want to avoid annoying your family). And lastly, the food is pretty good. But were talking the authentic stuff. Not Taco Bell. I can't be hypocritical and say that I only eat authentic Mexican food when in all actuality I don't, but still. When I say Mexican food is good, I'm talking about legitimate corn arepas or something like fresh beans and rice. Hmm. Well, I guess that's all I have to say about that. I was born to be Mexican (or South American or Latin, whatever would have worked). But that's all good. I like my nationality too. :)

Well for Spanish class, I had to look into a food dish from "el Caribe" (the Caribbean) and I found these. Tostones. So you have probably seen these funky looking fruit lying around your local grocery store and can't decide if its just a non-riping banana or a rotten banana. Well my friends, these would be plantains. I would not suggest eating them plain. You will feel like you are eating chalk. But! If you go the South American route and cook them in oil, they are delicious little snacks that serve as a good replacement for chips if you are dying for Lay's or whatnot.


Ingredients
  • plantains
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • sea salt
  • ice water
(amounts vary depending on how much you are making. Usually for every one plantain, you will need about 2 tablespoons of oil)


  1. First, you slice the plantain's peel down the middle in order to peel it more easily.
  2. Once you have the main part out of the peel (looks like a banana), chop it into little 1/2" thick circles.
  3. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
  4. Toss your chopped plantains in and let each side cook for about 3-4 minutes.

 
5. Take the chips out and flatten them with a fork.
6. Throw the flattened circles into ice water for about ten seconds.
7. Heat up some more oil in the pan again.
8. Refry them the way you did before. They should be slightly crispy.
9. Dash with sea salt and enjoy.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment