You have just opened a door to a journey of yummy food and healthier living. All in one! Your welcome. Stay around and explore this site full of delicious, tasty, healthy recipes! Enjoy your trip!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Make your Own Muesli

Say what? Muesli? What is that? Well I looked up the word on google and it gives a really good definition. Muesli is a mixture of grains, dried fruit, nuts, and seeds usually served in the morning as breakfast. So basically it is kind of like uncooked granola (sort of). I like eating it as my breakfast because unlike other cereals (even the "good" ones like Raisin Bran or Honey Bunches of Oats), Muesli doesn't have near as much artificial sugars and starches and preservatives. Not that those things matter all that much, especially if you love those cereals. However, it does serve as a very delicious and very nutritional cereal in the morning. Switching from the "health conscious" manufactured cereals such as the ones that I mentioned above, to  a homemade, natural Muesli is just a simple example of how to make small changes in your diets, without going extreme. So my friend, here is the "How To" on making your own Muesli. . . . . . .



You Choose

For your grain choose 1 C of the following:
   (I did half and half of oats and spelt)
  • rolled oats
  • rolled spelt
  • rye flakes
  • wheat flakes
For your seed (if you want one) pick 1/4 C of:
  (I did 1/4 C of hemp seed and a handful of green pumpkin)

  • hemp seed
  • chia seed
  • flax seed
  • unsalted sunflower seed
  • green pumpkin seed

For your dried fruit choose a large handful of:
             (I did a handful of raisins)
  • Raisins
  • Pitted dates
  • Dried cranberries
  • Dried goji berries
  • Dried blueberries
  • chopped dried apples

For seasoning choose as many of these as you wish: (I did cinnamon and nutmeg and ginger-could have done without the ginger personallly)

  • 1/4-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp. ground cloves

Combine all your prefered ingredients and store in an airtight container. Pull out whenever you are wanting a light snack or a delicious breakfast and serve with milk (dairy, rice, almond, or soy). You can serve it hot or cold. For me I find it easier personally to just "nuc" it in the nuclear machine (microwave) when I want it hot. Whenever I eat mine, I like to serve it with 1 Tb. honey, agave, or sucanat. :)   ENJOY 

No comments:

Post a Comment